How to Handle a Behavioral Interview

How to Handle a Behavioral Interview

A behavioral interview is a type of job interview where the interviewer asks questions about past behavior in order to predict future behavior. This type of interview is based on the belief that past behavior is the best predictor of future behavior.

Handling a behavioral interview can be challenging, but with the right preparation and approach, you can increase your chances of success. Here are some tips to help you handle a behavioral interview:

1. Research the company and the job position
  2. Identify the key competencies required for the job
  3. Prepare specific examples from your past experiences
  4. Use the STAR method to structure your answers
  5. Be concise and focused in your responses
  6. Showcase your problem-solving skills
  7. Highlight your ability to work in a team
  8. Demonstrate your adaptability and flexibility
  9. Ask thoughtful questions at the end of the interview
  10. Follow up with a thank-you note or email

1. Research the company and the job position

Before the interview, take the time to research the company and the job position you are applying for. This will help you understand the company's values, goals, and culture, and tailor your answers accordingly.

Additionally, familiarize yourself with the job description and requirements. This will allow you to highlight your relevant skills and experiences during the interview.

Example:

If you are interviewing for a customer service role, research the company's customer service policies, procedures, and any recent customer service initiatives they have implemented. This will help you demonstrate your knowledge and understanding of the role.

2. Identify the key competencies required for the job

Behavioral interviews are designed to assess specific competencies that are important for the job. Take the time to identify the key competencies required for the job and think about examples from your past experiences that demonstrate these competencies.

Common competencies assessed in behavioral interviews include communication skills, problem-solving skills, teamwork, leadership, adaptability, and attention to detail.

Example:

If the job requires strong leadership skills, think about a time when you successfully led a team or project and achieved positive results. Be prepared to discuss the specific actions you took, the challenges you faced, and the outcomes you achieved.

3. Prepare specific examples from your past experiences

During a behavioral interview, you will be asked to provide specific examples from your past experiences that demonstrate your skills and abilities. Take the time to think about relevant examples and prepare concise and detailed responses.

When preparing your examples, use the STAR method:

• Situation: Describe the situation or context in which the example occurred.
  • Task: Explain the task or goal you were trying to achieve.
  • Action: Describe the specific actions you took to address the situation or achieve the goal.
  • Result: Share the outcome or result of your actions.

Example:

If you are asked about a time when you had to resolve a conflict with a coworker, you could use the STAR method to structure your response:

Situation: I was working on a team project and there was a disagreement between me and a coworker about the best approach to take.

Task: Our goal was to complete the project on time and deliver high-quality results.

Action: I scheduled a meeting with my coworker to discuss our different perspectives and find a compromise. We listened to each other's ideas and came up with a solution that incorporated the best aspects of both approaches.

Result: As a result, we were able to complete the project successfully and meet our deadline. Our collaboration improved, and we were able to work together more effectively on future projects.

4. Be concise and focused in your responses

During a behavioral interview, it's important to be concise and focused in your responses. Keep your answers relevant to the question and avoid going off on tangents.

Use the STAR method to structure your answers and provide specific details and examples. This will help you demonstrate your skills and abilities in a clear and concise manner.

Example:

If you are asked about a time when you had to handle a difficult customer, focus on the specific actions you took to address the situation and the positive outcome that resulted from your efforts. Avoid providing unnecessary details or unrelated anecdotes.

5. Showcase your problem-solving skills

Behavioral interviews often include questions that assess your problem-solving skills. Be prepared to discuss a time when you faced a challenging situation or problem at work and how you resolved it.

When describing your problem-solving skills, emphasize your ability to analyze the situation, identify potential solutions, and take appropriate action.

Example:

If you are asked about a time when you had to meet a tight deadline, discuss how you prioritized your tasks, organized your time, and communicated with your team to ensure the deadline was met.

6. Highlight your ability to work in a team

Many jobs require the ability to work effectively in a team. Be prepared to discuss a time when you collaborated with others to achieve a common goal.

Highlight your ability to communicate, listen, and contribute to a team. Discuss how you dealt with conflicts or challenges that arose within the team.

Example:

If you are asked about a time when you worked on a team project, describe how you actively participated in team meetings, shared ideas and feedback, and supported your teammates to ensure the project's success.

7. Demonstrate your adaptability and flexibility

Employers value candidates who can adapt to change and handle unexpected situations. Be prepared to discuss a time when you had to adapt to a new situation or change in the workplace.

Highlight your ability to remain calm under pressure, quickly learn new skills or processes, and adjust your approach as needed.

Example:

If you are asked about a time when you had to learn a new software program, discuss how you quickly familiarized yourself with the program, sought assistance when needed, and successfully incorporated it into your daily work.

8. Ask thoughtful questions at the end of the interview

At the end of a behavioral interview, you will usually be given the opportunity to ask questions. Use this opportunity to demonstrate your interest in the company and the role.

Ask thoughtful questions about the company's culture, opportunities for growth and development, or specific projects or initiatives you are interested in.

Example:

You could ask about the company's approach to employee development, such as whether they offer training programs or mentorship opportunities. This shows your commitment to continuous learning and professional growth.

9. Follow up with a thank-you note or email

After the interview, take the time to send a thank-you note or email to the interviewer. Express your gratitude for the opportunity to interview and reiterate your interest in the position.

Use this opportunity to highlight any key points or examples you may have missed during the interview and to reinforce your fit for the role.

Example:

Dear [Interviewer's Name],

I wanted to take a moment to thank you for the opportunity to interview for the [Job Position] at [Company Name]. I thoroughly enjoyed our conversation and learning more about the company's values and goals.

I believe my past experiences and skills make me a strong fit for this role, particularly my [specific example]. I am confident in my ability to [key responsibility] and contribute to the success of the team.

Thank you again for considering my application. I look forward to the possibility of joining [Company Name] and contributing to its continued growth and success.

Sincerely,

[Your Name]

Handling a behavioral interview requires preparation, practice, and confidence. By researching the company, identifying key competencies, and preparing specific examples, you can showcase your skills and abilities effectively. Remember to be concise, focused, and demonstrate your problem-solving, teamwork, and adaptability skills. Finally, follow up with a thank-you note or email to leave a positive impression with the interviewer.

Did I miss anything? Add your comments below!