How to Answer Behavioral Interview Questions

Behavioral interview questions are commonly used by employers to assess a candidate's past behavior and performance in order to predict their future success in a role. These types of questions require you to provide specific examples from your past experiences to demonstrate your skills, abilities, and competencies.

When answering behavioral interview questions, it is important to use the STAR method:

• Situation: Describe the context or situation in which the behavior occurred.
  • Task: Explain the specific task or challenge you were facing.
  • Action: Outline the actions you took to address the situation or task.
  • Result: Share the outcome or result of your actions.

By using the STAR method, you can provide a structured and comprehensive answer that showcases your abilities and demonstrates your suitability for the role.

Here are some tips to help you effectively answer behavioral interview questions:

1. Prepare: Before the interview, review the job description and identify the key competencies or skills required for the role. Think of specific examples from your past experiences that demonstrate these competencies.
  2. Listen carefully: Pay close attention to the question being asked and make sure you understand what the interviewer is looking for. Take a moment to gather your thoughts before responding.
  3. Be specific: Provide detailed and specific examples from your past experiences. Use numbers, percentages, and other quantifiable measures to illustrate your achievements.
  4. Focus on positive outcomes: Emphasize the positive results of your actions and how they contributed to the success of the team or organization.
  5. Be honest: It is important to be truthful and authentic in your responses. If you don't have a relevant example, be honest about it and explain how you would approach a similar situation in the future.
  6. Practice: Practice answering behavioral interview questions with a friend or family member. This will help you become more comfortable and confident in your responses.

Here is an example of how to answer a behavioral interview question using the STAR method:

Question: Tell me about a time when you had to deal with a difficult coworker.

Situation: In my previous job, I worked on a project with a coworker who had a different work style and often clashed with me.

Task: Our task was to collaborate on a presentation for a client, but our conflicting work styles made it challenging to work together effectively.

Action: I decided to schedule a meeting with my coworker to discuss our differences and find a way to work more collaboratively. During the meeting, we both shared our perspectives and identified areas where we could compromise and adapt our approaches.

Result: As a result of our meeting, we were able to establish a better understanding of each other's working styles and find common ground. We successfully completed the presentation and received positive feedback from the client.

Remember, the key to answering behavioral interview questions is to provide specific examples that demonstrate your skills and abilities. By using the STAR method and following these tips, you can effectively showcase your past experiences and increase your chances of success in a behavioral interview.

Did I miss anything? Add your comments below!